Saturday, August 1, 2009

Winter 2009-2010 Updated Final Outlook






Alright, after much consideration and debate with and among myself, I have decided to overhaul my winter outlook. While I am not expecting any changes with the el nino itself. I am still anticipating the El Nino being weak to perhaps moderate in strength...however..current thinking is that this el nino could actually fade as winter goes along. 
Looking at el nino years 1970,1972,1974,1975,1976,1977,1979,1981,1982,1984,
985,1986,1992,1996,1997,2000,2004. Out of the above el nino years..seventeen total, 9 of the 17 winters following a cooler then normal summer..came out colder then average. So this is better then 50% of the winters came out colder then normal. 

The above information in combination with the general pattern that we have been in since last winter that I have coined the TZT..I expect to continue thru the winter of 2009-10. Of course, no pattern can stay in place without having breaks in between or relocations of this particular pattern. So there will be times that this pattern of TZT will relaz and or relocate. However..I expect the pattern of TZT to be pretty much dominant thru the winter of 2009-10. 
This pattern has been controlled by a pretty strong negative EPO in tandem combination with a negative NAO which has led to some unusual blocking patterns over the summer. This has also led to a central ridge and an eastern trough. This is the pattern I am now pretty much anticipating to continue through out the winter of 2009-10..though with breaks of relaxation in between. 
So here is the revised maps for temperature departures and also the precipitation departure map..

3 comments:

  1. Hi what is long island going to get??? Does it look good for lots of snow???

    Thanks

    Tyler

    PS- Can I link to your site???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am dying to find out about 09/2010 ski season in Pacific North West, any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete